Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Spirituality of Children

During the interview process at West Hills I was asked about my experience with children's ministry. I was completely honest with them, I had very little experience/education in working with children. Thankfully, the meeting was willing to allow me to learn while on the "job." I am so thankful for that opportunity, especially because I have discovered a new interest in the spirituality of children. 

West Hills Friends uses a program called Godly Play, which describes itself as a program "based upon the recognition that children have an innate sense of the presence of God. All they lack is the appropriate language to help them identify and express it so it can be explored and strengthened. The Godly Play approach teaches classical Christian language in a way that enhances the child's authentic experience of God so it can contribute to the creative life of the child and the world."

Part of the process of "learning on the job," was attending several trainings on Godly Play technique and process. As I worked my way through the training I began to realize how interested I was in the spirituality of children. The model of Godly Play, based upon the Montessori tradition, provides the opportunity for children to wonder and play with the great Christian stories. I have learned so much about the importance of exploring those stories and finding ourselves within them. I now realize how much I have to learn from our children.





No comments:

Post a Comment